Two weeks ago I had the privilege of attending the “Reception for Chinese and Foreign Women in Commemoration of the 97th Anniversary of March 8th International Women’s Day.” (Chinese like long titles) It was quite the occasion since it was held in the Great Hall of the People, which is the Chinese equivalent to the White House or Capitol Building. We were invited because of the high status that our university holds. My female teammates and I enjoyed an afternoon of tea and snacks, speeches, and cultural performances.



The reception celebrated the improved status of Chinese women. In speeches they declared that in 2006 “considerable progress was achieved in women’s participation in politics and economy, in women’s education, women’s health, and women’s legal protection.” This is certainly cause to celebrate. The government can be applauded for its improvement in these areas. However, I was reminded this week that fancy speeches don’t really reveal the truth of individual lives. Two days ago at the market I ran into a Chinese friend that I had not seen for a few quite a while. We chatted and I could tell that she was quite discouraged. For the last six months she has earnestly been searching for a job, but to no avail. Here she is, graduating with a masters degree from a highly reputed university, one that she faced fierce competition to even attend, and yet, now she has no interested employers. Why? Well, employers have told her that they want to higher a man, not a woman. To add to that discouragement, she, who is slender by any American standard, has her boyfriend tell her that if she looses 15 lbs. then maybe she will find a job. Is the condition of Chinese women truly progressing? With a look back at history, the answer is undeniably, “yes.” But women still face enormous difficulty. My friend now plans to give up her dream of finding a good job in the city, and return to her hometown, where at the strong encouragement of her mother, she will become a c. party member. |