Downtown Chinatown
Monday, August 07, 2006
Beijing: Day One
After a 14 hour plane ride (pleasant, but exhausting) into Beijing, we had one night to recuperate before heading out on our tour of life in China. The philosophy we’re under is akin to kicking the baby birds out of the nest: we get one day with a Chinese university guide who speaks fluent English to show us how to survive the basics. They show us how to get around using public transportation (subways, bus, or taxi), order food at a restaurant (I highly recommend the Gung Pow Chicken), and shop for necessities (like water that you can actually drink). After that one day, you’re on your own.

Needless to say then, our tour guides had our utmost attention. They were two cute little students from local universities who were a fun mixture of fear and excitement. Fear, for they had the pressure of 1.3 billion Chinese on their shoulders as they introduced their country to Americans. And excitement, for this was a rare chance for them to interact with Westerners (who are oh so chic, of course).

We had a great day with them. They had as many questions for us as we did for them, and it quite the learning experience for both of us. We learned that meals are always shared around a turning table (large glass lazy susan), the most often used form of transportation is your own two feet, you can get a smile from anyone if you attempt to speak Chinese, and there is no limit to the amount of people you can fit in one bus.

Our fearless leaders.


Apparently the Chinese are very anti-trumpet. We saw this sign in several places.


This is a good example of indirect speech. As we would say, “Don’t walk on the grass,” the Chinese would say something else.


Our destination for the day: Wang Fu Jing. This is an outdoor shopping mall similar to those seen in major cities in America. Except it’s full of Asians.
posted by Aaron @ 5:27 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So good to speak to and see you this a.m. Your pictures are wonderful! Oh, I didn't get your email, please re-send it when you get a chance.
    Love you both, Mom

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Guys! I'm glad you made it safely and and got a chance to see the city. Don't get lost! I hope you guys are enjoying it, although i'm sure its overwhelming right now. I'm here with the dog in the good ol US. and I haven't had too many parties yet. We will have to "skpe" sometime soon so i can hear all about it. I love you guys! I'm thinking about you daily!

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've done some research on that sign and it doesn't mean "No trumpets". It stands for "No jazz music allowed". I ordered one on ebay for the office.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I spent 3 weeks in Japan when I was in College and it looked very similar. :) Thankfully I was never left on my own. Great pics.

    Take care of yourselves --
    Barb

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey you two!! I am so glad to hear that you made it safely. I am sorry I missed your send off...I was out of town. I haven't talked to you in so long...the pictures are great...I couldn't imagine how you must be feeling! I am happy for you two and hope the culture shock isn't too much...eat lots of yummy food for me! :) Love you and miss you! <3

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kids,
    Glad to hear from you and to know you got there safely.
    What a city! Ian was here and just left today. They are going to be moving back in Nov. We're happy about that.
    He plans on going back and getting his degree and then his masters. Aubrey is going to get her teaching certificate.
    I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be to be in such a large city but I'm sure you will become adjusted soon. Love Grandma

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no trumpets...awesome.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to China!! We were in Beijing on Aug 8!! Wish I knew that you were there! How nice if we could visit with each other in the land of His Opportunity!
    You are in my thoughts today!
    Wing

     
  • At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We'll stay tuned in for your progress.

    Hey, any chance of getting one of those no trumpets/no jazz signs?

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We'll keep checking in for updates.
    Any chance of getting one of those no trupmets/no jazz signs?

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Hey, any chance of getting one of those no trumpets/no jazz signs?"

    Hey, I'll see what I can do, but I'm not making any promises. I've noticed that they most frequently appear at the entrance of university campuses. It could be they realize how jazz can warp even the sharpest minds.

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I beg your pardon: What is wrong with trumpets and jazz?????
    I know!!! your ears have been so damaged by the sounds of the jungle and twanging guitar (sp) , drums and just plain screaming ......well , must I go on.
    Nothing sweeter than a little Perry Como, Montovani, Rosemary Clooney, .....Oh my, I could go on and on. Oh yes, don't forget Glen Miller. Keeps one sane in a world gone mad. Love, Love, Love, Grandma

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to hear you guys arrived in good condition.

    Cheers mateys,
    Rich

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER