| Monday, June 04, 2007 |
| Beware of the Head Shrinkers! |
A common question we are asked is what we studied in college. Students usually ask this looking for some common ground for small talk, and since we teach at a tech school, they're usually disappointed.
I've noticed over the last few months that when students ask me this question, they sometimes will have very pretty strange reactions when I tell them I majored in psychology. Their eyes will get real wide, and they'll cover their mouths as if I had told them I majored in cannabilism. Then they will quickly change the subject. This has always confused me, until I recently learned the secret behind the confusion.
A few days ago, after class was over and students were filing out, one of the girls came up to me and asked me the familiar question, which led to this exchange.
STUDENT: "Teacher, what was your major when you were in university?"
ME: "I studied psychology."
(Look of fear and trembling from student)
STUDENT: "Oh no, that's so terrible."
ME: "What?"
STUDENT: "That's terrible."
ME: "Why is that terrible?"
STUDENT: "Haven't you seen the movie Basic Instinct?"
ME: "No ... why?"
STUDENT: "Oh, it's so terrible. There is a woman, and she kills many people in terrible ways. And she is a psychology person."
ME: "Um ... I don't think ... uh ... that's not psychology. That's just a movie."
STUDENT: "Oh ... so terrible."
Great. So now I know that my students either think I studied about psycho killers or am one myself. Chalk another one up to the misunderstandings brought about by Hollywood. |
posted by Aaron @ 6:25 AM  |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
That is hilarious!! Seems like you should be able to use that to your advantage in some way...Mom
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
That is hilarious!! Seems like you should be able to use that to your advantage in some way...Mom