Downtown Chinatown
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Teaching

If you would have asked me in December if I would be teaching this semester, I would have said, “Definitely, no.” I was feeling overwhelmed at keeping up with everything already. The thought of adding another responsibility, one as big as teaching, was too much to think about. However, time in Thailand brought a lot of refreshment and renewal. So while munching pizza at a beach side restaurant on a Thai island, Aaron and I talked about this spring semester. We talked about all that Aaron had on his plate for this semester. It’s a lot. We discussed ways that his load could in any way be lightened. We brought up the idea of me teaching one of his classes. The idea made me nervous and excited at the same time. Part of me longed to be back in the classroom. Another part was worried that I would be stressed out at keeping up with everything and didn’t want it to affect how I cared for Ellie. She was my first priority. But we figured that one two hour class a week would not be too much, and Aaron would be able to be home with her at the time.


So back to the classroom I went. We are now three weeks into the semester, and I am absolutely LOVING it. I’ve realized that while teaching is a responsibility, another major “to do” on my schedule, rather than draining me, it energizes me. Teaching is so much a part of who I am. I love it. I love the lesson planning. I love the interaction with students in class. I didn’t realize how much I missed it this past year. I’m so thankful that I didn’t have to teach this past year, but now I am so thankful that I can.


Ellie has a great time with her daddy while I’m gone, and when I get home, she’s super excited to see me. So I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I get to be home with my daughter, but I also get to use my gifts and serve the students that we came here for.

posted by Danielle @ 11:42 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm happy for you Danielle! It's important for you to continue to grow so you can be a good mommy to Ellie. Since Aaron is able to be with her while you teach, he will get to build a special relationship with her, too. She needs both of her parents, even if one of you takes the lead.

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's awesome! I'm glad you get to both teach in the classroom and spend time with Ellie! :)

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Ann W. said…

    How wonderful! I praise God for this wonderful opportunity for you all.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER