| We had a number of reasons for wanting to hire a cleaning lady. For one, it is ridiculously difficult to keep things clean in China. I could thoroughly sweep and mop my floors and later the very same day find dust bunnies floating around. With a little one crawling around, it is a never ending battle. I was easily spending 5+ hours a week just cleaning floors. There were a lot of other things I wanted and needed to do with that time. Secondly, it is incredibly cheap to hire someone to clean your home here. Chinese were often surprised if they heard that I didn’t have hired help. They were even more surprised when they realized my mother didn’t live with me and take care of my child as is culturally expected here. And finally, having a cleaning lady is an opportunity to build a relationship.
We have wanted to hire someone since we first moved to our new place. There was just one major problem. We didn’t know anyone. That’s a problem anywhere, but especially in China. Everything happens one way or another through your network of relationships. We couldn’t just look up a cleaning service in the yellow pages. Nor could we go out to the street and just invite anyone into our home.
Eventually I got to know a neighbor. Most of our neighbors only speak Chinese, so it’s difficult for us to build much more than an acquaintance relationship with them. However, I met a neighbor lady who speaks decent English. After we had become friends, I asked if she knew of anyone whom I could hire to clean for me. She recommended her cleaning lady. She arranged everything for me, translating and relaying multiple messages for me, and due to some miscommunication, it ended up being somewhat of an ordeal. I sent her a text message thanking her for all her help and apologizing for all the trouble. She replied, “My pleasure! You need help at here.” I couldn’t help but laugh. Usually the Chinese are very indirect. That was surprisingly direct. Yes, I do indeed need help.
So the cleaning lady started cleaning for us. And she’s doing a terrific job. There were a few confusing things going on though. One was that I asked her to come for two hours, but she was often staying later, even though I tried telling her she could go. Then I would leave her money by the door, and sometimes she wouldn’t take it all! I was so confused. I thought, surely there is some kind of cultural misunderstanding, because I have no idea what is going on.
Later I discovered the truth. I had the cleaning lady talk to a student, because I needed more translating done. The student later reported that the cleaning lady thought that I was a single mom! I realized then that Aaron had always been gone when she came over. It all made sense now. She was doing all that (staying late, not taking all her pay) because she felt sorry for me! I realized how it must have looked. Here is this young foreigner mom, who barely speaks Chinese, living out in nowhere China all by herself with this little baby. I would feel sorry for me too! I think the only reason anyone would be in that situation is if they are hiding from the law.
Aaron was home today when she came. She didn’t stay late this time. Hopefully she will still enjoy cleaning for us now that we are not so much a charity case for her. However, multiple times throughout this whole ordeal, I have been reminded that, while we came here to help this county and its people, it is often we who end up being helped by them. |
Oh my gosh I want to meet and hold that beautiful baby! We really miss you guys. My heart aches when I think about how long it has been since we have talked. You guys will always be some of our best friends. Maybe our Daddy will allow us to see each other soon.
-Jenny (on behalf of Brandon, Deacon, and little baby Madeline)