Downtown Chinatown
Wednesday, October 07, 2009
5000 years later, China hits 60

Hey, China. I heard you just had a birthday recently, and I gotta say, you make 60 look old. And I mean that in a good way.

Yes, as confusing as it may seem, the world's oldest running civilization celebrated it's 60th birthday last week. And in grand fashion.

But before I get into the great celebration, there was one aspect of this marked occasion that confused me: what's the big deal about 60? Celebrating a 50th or 75th birthday seems like a significant milestone. But I just couldn't understand the festivities surrounding this particular date.

As in all things China, there is a reason behind the confusion. I've been told that, according to Chinese culture, reaching 60 years of age is considered a "full life." In an ancient culture that has a greater historical perspective on life expectancy, that makes sense. Therefore, as the new China reaches its 60th year, the government can consider itself fully grown and completing a cycle of leadership.

Now I know that some reading this may have mixed feelings about this milestone. China has received more than a little bad press since 1949. But this is neither the time nor the place for addressing those issues. Instead, I'd like to offer my congratulations. In the last 30 years, China has made unprecedented strides in improving the lives of its citizens. From healthcare and education to job opportunities and individual rights, China has progressed on a scale larger and faster than the world has ever seen. And for that, they should be commended.

The biggest part of China's celebration occurred on the afternoon of October 1st. The government hosted a parade dwarfing the feats seen at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics in 2008. Various aspects of the celebration lasted into the night, complete with performers, floats, and of course, fireworks. The most notable piece of the large parade was the military procession. An excellent photo essay can be found HERE, but you must check out the work of one guy who condensed the entire 45 minutes into just over three minutes, through both stop-motion and slow-motion media. His work is below:

This anniversary did have an effect on us personally, in a couple of different ways. The biggest effect was that our classes were delayed until after the holiday, meaning that we won't start teaching until October 11th. In the history of late starts to the semester, that has to be a record.

The second happened in an invitation to a private banquet that would make any Chinese citizen jealous. In honor of the occasion, the government sponsored three banquets at the Great Hall of the People, which is kind of a mix between the Capital Building and the White House, to put it in American terms. One of those banquets was to held to honor the foreign experts who had helped China in her progression over the last 60 years. Naturally, they thought of me!

All of the foreign teachers at our school were invited, and as we arrived at the Hall that night, the sight reminded me of a Hollywood movie premier. Red carpets, black suits, elegant gowns, pat-down security searches, the whole thing. It was a night to remember.

The picture I've included isn't from our actual banquet, but from another identical banquet three days later. We weren't allowed to bring cameras into the Hall, so while I'm not actually in the photo, this is what I saw.

Happy birthday, China. Here's to a bright and healthy future.

posted by Aaron @ 1:34 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Terri Ruddell said…

    wow! that video is amazing as is the hall, glad you got to be a part of it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER