Downtown Chinatown
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
The Forbidden City
The Forbidden City can pretty well be described in two words: “over stimulation.” The most vivid mental picture that I hold from our typical tourist trip to this famous Chinese landmark occurred about halfway in our walk through the city. On my left is a Chinese young woman trying to convince me that she is an art student and that I should come and see her paintings. On my right is an older Chinese man who wants to take his picture with me, for it will impress his friends back home if he can be seen with a foreigner. All around me are a sea of Asian faces, none of which look like my wife, who has mysteriously disappeared. In my right hand is my bag which I am keeping a close eye on, for it holds all of my money and my video camera. In my left hand is my digital camera, which begins beeping to signal that is has run out of batteries. In my ear an audio guide is spewing out information about a particular temple that I can’t seem to find on the map. And in my head I’m wondering how I’m going to be able to write a paper for class reflecting my experience when, at the moment, I can’t even think of my own name.

After several days of sorting and reflecting, however, other lessons have begun to crystallize. Standing before the entrance to Forbidden City I looked up to see Mao Zedong himself, an imposing figure draped from an intimidating fortress. The lessons I had learned in class suddenly had a face and a name. I began to understand the Chinese attitude toward authority.

Walking into the city I immediately noticed the thick doors that I had to pass through and the variety of pavements that I had to walk over. I began to see a vivid example of how the Chinese order themselves as “insiders” and “outsiders.”

Looking up to the main temple, I felt the tinge of disappointment as my eyes did not meet a grand structure, but rather a green screen placed over scaffolding as improvements are made before the coming Olympics. I began to appreciate the need to gain face and put on a good appearance before guests.

Leaving through the courtyard of gardens and fountains, my mind began to relax as the atmosphere of tranquility soothed my senses. I drank in the peace after an exhausting excursion. I began to desire the balance and harmony that Confusion taught to his people.

Though overwhelming at times, the Forbidden City did offer a myriad of glimpses in the heart of China. I highly recommend it to anyone who gets the chance to visit. Just remember to pack light, skip the audio guide, and learn the power of the phrase "bu yao" ("I don't want any").




posted by Aaron @ 9:53 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmmm... forbidden.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER