This week we are introducing a new feature on this blog, "Top Things I Love About China." I thought it would be fun, every once in awhile, to highlight some strange, quirky, or otherwise notable piece of China culture that makes our life here a little more enjoyable.
(Note that I don't actually have these top things ranked from #1 to #100 or any number otherwise, but you can pretend I do if that helps.)
Today we salute #43: The Darth Vader Mask.
Most commonly seen on females, these full faced visors are an indispensable fixture for any woman looking for that key accessory that not only shields the sun from the eyes, but the nose, mouth, chin, forehead, cheeks, and large sections of the jaw line as well. Some would consider such a large piece of sunblock to be unnecessary, but when pale skin tones are what's happening, no section of the face should be left to chance. Not to mention the benefit it provides in intimidating would be menaces full of evil intentions.
I first encountered the Dark Vader Mask last summer, usually on female bicyclers, but was pleased to learn that it wasn't only limited to the peddlers, but regular gals taking a stroll. My inquires from female students as to the purpose this fashion accessory told that it was a good way of keeping the sun away from the desired pale face. Now, one might think this a keen example of cutting off your nose to spite your face, considering the effect such a thing has on overall appearance and attractiveness, but who I am to judge? |
Hey you two,
Poppa Wheeler just announced the B-I-G news on Sunday...Wow, how excting. Grandpa and Grandma Wheeler and Uncle Josh seemed overjoyed about it. Well, we couldn't be happier for the both of you and can't wait to see you return to us with a larger family.
Love,
The Fivecoats