Downtown Chinatown
Monday, January 21, 2008
Am I Ready?
Over the past few weeks people have been asking me the question- “Are you ready?” I usually respond with something like “I think so” or “I’m getting there,” but honestly I really don’t know how to answer that question. I understand, of course, that people want to know if I’m prepared/anxious/excited for the birth of our daughter. But if you really think about, or perhaps if you over think it, which I think I’m probably doing, “Are you ready?” is really a loaded question. When I hear this question, these are the thoughts that run through my head:

Am I ready to become a mother?
Am I ready for the 24/7 care my daughter will need?
Am I ready for the most painful experience of my life?
Do I know everything I need to know for labor and delivery?
Am I ready to not have to use the bathroom every 15 minutes?
Do I have all the baby items I need?
Am I ready to go from being a couple to a family?
Will I be all that she needs me to be?
Am I ready to begin the lifelong journey of being a parent?
Am I ready for all of the cultural challenges of being a parent in China?
Am I ready to finally be able hold and cuddle my baby?
Am I ready to look into her eyes, hold her tiny hand, and kiss her soft skin?

…Am I ready?
How can a person ever really be ready for the birth of a child? And at the same time, how can you not be ready? I’m reminded of a man who once said, “I believe, Lord. Help me with my unbelief.” That’s how I feel. I’m ready, Lord. Help me with my unreadiness.
posted by Danielle @ 11:02 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My girls are 17 and 19. I'm still not sure if I'm ready for parenthood. Just follow your heart.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Brandon and Jenny said…

    NO! you're not ready! But you two will be amazing parents. You are so close and we are so excited! We had Madeline Lea on Jan 6!. Go to http://wife-and-mommy.blogspot.com/ to see pictures or go to Brandon's blog.

    We love you both very much. SLEEP NOW if you can!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I get asked the same thing just about every day. I find it simpler to give a "Dr. Evil" style maniacal laugh, followed by a stout 'no'.

    But if you're not feeling ready, I think taking a look here will surely get you there:

    http://www.c00lstuff.com/1133/Do_s_and_don_ts_with_babies/

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER