Downtown Chinatown
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Teaching
Last week we finished our teacher training program with a four day teaching practicum. We taught university students from the Beijing area. For the students, it was a great opportunity to practice their English with native speakers, and for us as teachers, it was a chance to experience teaching Chinese students before we actually get to our own school and classes.

On the first day, my students were very shy and quiet. It was a new experience for them to have a foreign teacher, and they weren’t used to teaching methods that involved lots of student interaction. By the end of the fourth day, they were much more comfortable and responsive. I really enjoyed getting to see their personalities and their senses of humor.

Aaron and I were both very impressed with the English ability of our students. Apparently, students in Beijing typically have a higher level of English than students from other parts of China. It will definitely be a change for me, since I am used to teaching beginner level English speakers. While I love beginner level students, I am excited to work with more advanced students, because you can address deeper issues in teaching and in conversation.


posted by Danielle @ 9:04 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We just returned from our trip to Disney World and we ran into a couple from Beijing (we took a picture for them in front of Cindy's Castle). They were on vacation for two weeks. I mentioned that we have friends teaching English at the University in Beijing and the gentleman said he is an English teacher at a very prestigious high school in Beijing and that he frequently visits the University to meet with the foreign instuctors. I thought it was kind of a cool small world moment. We'll anyway we're glad to see you are finally in your home and are getting acquainted with your surroundings. Chayton and I are back to school "officially" next week. Aiyanna starts preschool in a month. It's also good to see Aaron enjoying some of the local cuisine, Chinese Fried Scorpion--Kentucky Fried Chicken--ahh what's the difference..just as good as home..Keep on having fun, it's good to see the pictures and all the smiles.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER