Downtown Chinatown
Thursday, February 21, 2008
A Mother's Story
It’s been nine days since our daughter entered the world. I think it’s time for mom to give her version of the story. Nine days ago, on February 12, 2008 I woke up at about 4am. This of coarse was not unusual. The discomforts of pregnancy and the anticipation for the big event had left me lying awake for many nights. Each night for weeks we went to bed wondering if tonight would be the night. Every morning I woke up disappointed. So when I woke up with some twinges of pain, I tried not to get too excited. I’d been having pain twinges for days. But these twinges kept coming back. That’s when I got excited. I told Aaron, “We’re going to have a baby today!” “Are you sure?” he asked. After waiting 8 days after the due date, he was hesitant to get his hopes up. “Yep, I’m sure,” I said.

The contractions were still at least 6 minutes apart, so we decided to pass the time and distract ourselves with a game of monopoly on the computer. I can’t remember, but I think I won. We showered and finished packing. Then we called Simon, the British manager of the guest house that we’re staying at. He had told us he could be our ride to the hospital. It was still too early for taxis to be out. Simon was about to take his kids to school, but decided taking us to the hospital would be an ok excuse for the kids to be late.

So we (my mom, her step sister, Aaron and I) all piled into his car with all our stuff. We had a huge birthing/exercise ball that was in the front seat blocking half of the driver’s view. The two kids sat in the back giggling. In between giggles, the older one said to his sister in his British accent, “This is not a laughing matter!” They quieted down and we drove through the streets of Chiang Mai, Thailand. We arrived at the hospital around 7:30am.

At the hospital entrance, the little Thai door man helped us in and said, “Good luck!” They wheeled me to the emergency room. A man from the reception area came to me and said, “You have pregnancy?” I looked down at my bulging belly, and thought, “You have got to be kidding me.” But I calmly responded, “Yes, I have pregnancy. I need to go to labor and delivery on the second floor.” His next question was “You have contractions?” “Yes! I need to go to the second floor!” “What time you have contractions?” Somehow, we finally convinced him to take us to the second floor. For a moment I thought I was going to have to go climb the stairs myself.

They checked me in and found that I was already dilated 7-8 cm and 100% effaced. We called our labor coach and told her she better come fast. They monitored the contractions and the baby for a short while. I was still feeling pretty good. I was just so thrilled to finally be in labor! Our labor coach arrived, and the contractions began to get more intense. I stayed out of the bed most of the time. Sitting on the birthing ball was a good position for me. Aaron was an incredible support. I was amazed at the emotional and physical strength I received from his presence.

I reached 10cm and it was time to push. The problem was, just as my contractions should have been at their strongest, they started to get weaker. I kept waiting for that “oh-so-wonderful-urge-to-push” that all the labor books had described. Only it never came. They gave me an IV with pitocin in it to make the contractions stronger. I don’t know that it ever really took effect. We tried some pushing, but it was extremely difficult without the urge to push. I think it was when I heard my labor coach say, “We need to get that baby out,” that I realized I was going to have to push the baby out without the urge to push. Once I had decided that, I gave it all I had. The pain was intense. But moments later, at 11:46 AM my baby girl emerged into the world.

She was bluish grey and my immediate concern was whether or not she was ok. They placed her on my chest. I was holding my daughter!! With a bit of oxygen and suction she pinked up very quickly. She was beautiful. We shared our precious first moments together. She stayed pretty quiet for a few minutes, her bright eyes taking everything in. Then she tested her lungs out with a healthy cry. She immediately found comfort in nursing. After a while, they lifted her off my chest, and that’s when I discovered that during our special moments together, my daughter had pooped all over me!! We got a good laugh out of that.

Everyone in the room was exclaiming how big she was. She received a round of “oooh’s” and “aahh’s” when she measured in at 21.5in, 9lb. 9oz. and a 14cm head. The doctor declared her to be perfect. I lay on the bed while my doctor repaired me. I watched as the doctors and nurses examined her and gave her two shots. It was when the shots went in and she cried out that my own tears began to flow. Already my love for her was indescribable. Her pain was my pain. All I wanted to do was hold and cherish and protect my little girl. She had finally arrived. I had experience the miracle of giving birth, and now I had a beautiful healthy daughter.

We are absolutely in awe of this little girl and how she has captured our hearts. I honestly expected the first days and weeks after birth to be extremely difficult. All I ever heard about this time period was associated with difficulty and post-partum blues. What no one ever told me was that you could experience “post-partum bliss.” Now, don’t get me wrong. The physical pain and exhaustion have been very real, but in the midst of it has been the overwhelming joy of falling in love with our daughter. She is amazing. We just sit and stare at her in wonder.

I don’t know what the future holds for Isabelle Grace, but my prayer is that no matter what, she will know how much her parents and her heavenly Father adore her. Welcome to the world, my precious girl.
posted by Danielle @ 9:10 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you so much for sharing! What a beautiful story. Every mother is remembering her own story(ies) now. It's the coolest thing -- falling in love with your child. And it never stops. Congratulations! Going to look at the pictures again now. :)

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful post and such a beautiful picture.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful and heartfelt story! I can remember those same feelings with all of my boys. Congrats you guys and cant wait to meet your little angel. Cheryl Matthews

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yea I almost forgot, What a big baby! I didn't know you had room Danielle! Excellent job. Cheryl M.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love you guys, Mom got home fine and she misses you already. We can't wait to see the baby this summer!
    -Peter

     
  • At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A beautiful post, Danielle! I find it amazing to think you had your baby in Chiangmai. Same hospital Angie went to when she was sick that summer? Keep posting pictures, please! And congratulations. She's amazing.

    --Krista Griffin

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please post pics of baby Ellie with Grandma and Grandpa Wheeler.

    Love you all,
    Terry

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aaron
See my complete profile
Name: Danielle
See my complete profile
Home: Chinatown, China
Recent Pictures
www.flickr.com
Aaron & Danielle's photos More of Aaron & Danielle's photos
Archives
Where Are You From?

Previous Posts
Powered by



BLOGGER