| Monday, May 19, 2008 |
| Creative Writing |
One of the courses I teach here is Advanced Writing for Junior English Majors. At the beginning of the semester, we did a creative writing activity where students were given a piece of paper that said, "One day..." on the top. They had one minute to finish the sentence, then pass the paper to the person next to them. That person then had one minute to continue the story, and so on, until after 10 minutes 10 students had worked together to complete one story.
These activities are especially fun for me because it opens the door to the creative side of the Chinese mind, and I never know for sure what's going to come out. Some of the stories were sad, funny, romantic, and weird. I've included my two favorites below, as originally written:
Story #1 (italics indicates a new student) One day I decided to dress up as someone else, so I went to find information from the internet. I found a webside where were many women dresses. But most of them were too expensive for me, and I wanted to find some cheaper ones. Then I found a monkey that dressed very beautiful. So the idea came to me that I can dress like some animals. But I don't want to dress like a monkey, so I'm thinking about other animals. Bingo! It's elephant I want to dress like. So I went to buy some clothes that an elephant can wear. But what a fool I am! The elephant is so big. So first I should eat bigger. Therefore, I bought a lot of food and ate everyday in order to match my character I want to be.
Story #2 One day I wanted to do all the things I had always been afraid of doing. I brought a knife with me and went into the forest. There I saw a fierce dragon gaurded a princess. I was so surprised that there was such a scene. I'm wondering why and how she was there, so I asked the princess. "Why and how are you there?" "I don't know, I was brought here by a strange man," she said. "Do you need help," I asked. "Yes," she said. "I need some apples to feed the dragon." So I went to the darkest forest with no doubt. After 7 days and nights, I got 3 golden apples from the evil and I ran back to my princess, saved her and at last we got married, live together happily. |
posted by Aaron @ 3:09 AM  |
|
| 3 Comments: |
-
-
awesome....go pistons. did you get that site i emailed you where you can stream the games?
-
Well, the Pistons gave up a 10 point lead to lose by 9...but the Wings should wrap up the cup in the D tomorrow.
-Sheed
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
|
Those are great!
Mom