| So it's been over a month since we last posted. Our apologies. We've done a bit of traveling since then, Beijing to Boston to Detroit to Amarillo back to Detroit then to Wheaton. We admit we're a little insane to do that with a four month old, but thankfully she's been an amazing traveler.
It's been great to be back. Certain things always strike you when you come back to your home country after you've been gone a while. So we thought we'd make our 2nd Annual Overrated & Underrated List. Last year Aaron wrote it. This year it's my turn. Overrated Things in America
Air-conditioning - So when I packed our bags in China, I packed summer clothes, because, well, it's summer. I didn't remember that America, it's hot outside, but arctic indoors. For goodness sake, people! We could feed an entire nation with the money we'd save if we just turned the air-conditioning up a few degrees!
Portion sizes - We have certainly been enjoying our share of American fare at a number of restaurants since we've been back. While scrumptious, it is shocking how huge portion sizes are. In Chinese restaurants, people order dishes for the whole table and everyone eats of these dishes as they spin around on a lazy susan in the middle of the table. This way you get to sample lots of different foods and eat until you're satisfied but not too full. You're not stuck with the "there's food left on my plate, but not enough to take home so I'll eat it and then immediately regret it" situation often encountered in American restaurants. Reality TV - So we thought that it had gotten a bit ridiculous before we left for China two years ago. Little did we know that you can actually make a reality TV show out of absolutely everything. Flipping through the stations, ready for a dose of American culture, has left us rolling our eyes and groaning "Seeeriously?!"
Airlines - In the last year we have flown Chinese airlines, Thai airlines, Canadian airlines and American airlines. Without a doubt the crummiest have been the American airlines. It's a combination of the crazy pay for your checked luggage (and it better not be an ounce over 50 lbs or I'll make you repack your bags in front of everyone), and the unfriendly flight attendants, and the pay for your snacks, and the I don't care if you have a baby and a thousand carry-ons, you don't get to board first that make for not a very pleasant flying experience.
Underrated Things in America
Blueberries - I have always enjoyed blueberries, just like I enjoy most fruits. But I didn't become obsessed with them until last summer when I was pregnant. Normally cravings go away when you're not pregnant anymore. Not true. For some reason, blueberries still taste like the most amazing, sweet, refreshing thing to ever touch my tongue. While we do have great fruit markets in China, I have never seen a blueberry.
Barnes & Noble - While in China, I miss good bookstores. If we all really do get our own mansion in heaven, (I'm not sure there's actual biblical support for this idea) there will definitely be a Barnes & Noble in my mansion. I get all giddy inside just driving by one.
Jack's Special Deli Salsa from Meijer - Beware: It's the chronic. It is possible to consume an entire container in one sitting. It makes all other salsa taste like spicy ketchup.
Puffy White Clouds - Growing up in Colorado, I thought that everywhere in the world has blue sky and sunshine 97% of the year. I was in for a shock when I moved away. In all the other places I've lived, I've always missed having so much sun and blue sky. This is definitely true in Beijing. But not until this summer when we came back did I realize that I also miss big puffy white clouds. We don't have those in Beijing. I never realized how cool clouds can be. Just last night a thunderstorm rolled in as a huge swirling mass of clouds. Incredible.
Grandparents - As new parents, we've come to realize that other people are not nearly as fascinated with our little daughter as we are. The exception to this is her grandparents. While other people will give Ellie polite 5 to 10 minute intervals of attention in the midst of other topics of conversation, her grandparents will sit and stare at her with us for hours, thrilled with every adorable movement, heartily agreeing that she is, indeed, the most amazing thing to ever grace the face of the earth. |
agreed on about all accounts... but besides the point, it was worth reading just for the line: "Beware: It's the chronic."